Monday, November 16, 2020

Cavalock and The Misplaced Churchill Quote

Always a pleasure to discover a new Japanese joint that serves a dining experience that is absolutely reminiscent of our days in Japan. So our friend managed to get us a table at Rockon Tokyo along Tanjong Pagar. Great izakaya food with an impressive sake list. We had two carafes of wonderful smooth, dry sake. Now according to a write-up I found online, "Rockon Tokyo serves up true obanzai in the traditional Kyoto home-cooked style", so I'm wondering why it's not called Rockon Kyoto instead? It's a small, cozy place and that evening we were the only locals there, to me I guess that kinda validates the place for authentic Japanese food. Must-haves include the charcoal-grilled skewers, Tsukune chicken, miso-marinated pork shoulder and Koji-marinated 'Gyutan' beef tongue. My favourite has got to be the tamago roll stuffed with mentaiko. So simple yet so yummy. Now that edamame pix you see below are some seasonal "wild black edamame", smokey flavour that's quite different from your regular edamame. And it ain't cheap! Geez! Anyway it's all excellent food and we wanted to make another reservation but it seems they are pretty booked solid for the near future. Good for them!





It's almost the end of the year and my Traveler's Notebook is just about filled. Well, it would had filled up earlier if we actually got to go to the US and Japan this year like we had planned. Fortunately I stocked up on refills last year so the one I bought from Narita Airport is gonna replace the one from Tokyo Station. For awhile, I was wondering what I could possibly fill it up with since we won't be travelling at all this year. So I decided to have pages devoted to gaming experiences, local food places, past travel memories, trivia etc. 

And speaking of quotes, I was quite gutted earlier this week when I found out that my favourite Churchill quote "If you are not a liberal when you are 25, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative by the time you are 35, you have no brain.", was falsely attributed to him. Apparently, he never said those words. I could soooo identify with that quote. Hah!

No comments: