Monday, July 24, 2017

Cavalock and The Snoopy Stopover

No, that glass of green beer isn't a leftover from St. Patrick's Day. It's matcha or green tea beer from Torigen Shinjuku, our usual yakitori joint whenever we are in Tokyo. We tend to make it our first dinner stop after landing and checking into our hotel in the evening. As for the green beer, it's pretty much boozy green tea that gives you a buzz as evident by the amount of green tea powder you'll eventually find at the bottom of your glass. Not bad but I'll stick to my trusty whisky high-ball when I'm in Japan.


Always a joy to have dinner with friends in Tokyo as we gleefully stuffed our faces silly that night. Everything from chicken skin, beef tongue to grilled corn. It was pretty rowdy that night and on our way out, I even spotted a passed out salaryman flat on his back in one of the dining rooms. Yakitori became our bookend meals when on our last night in Tokyo, the baker-at-home and I dropped by Torigen for one more late night cap after a hearty ramen dinner earlier.


The Aftermath
Now when I was a kid, me Mom would sometimes read Peanuts or Snoopy comic strips to me and I grew up with more than a few Charlie Brown and gang stationery. Now since Snoopy is a huge deal in Japan, it's no surprise that I come home after every trip with more than a handful of Snoopy merchandise. Well, I believe I just broke a personal spending record when I visited the Snoopy Museum and its souvenir shop in Roppongi.


We were actually supposed to visit the Museum in March but couldn't find the time. Anyway, for a lifelong Snoopy fan like me this was simply way too cool. Looking at all those comic strips on display certainly brought back memories of reading them decades ago.











Like I said in my earlier post, it's summer in Tokyo and the Snoopy Museum was more than ready to capitalise on rising temperature.



No comments: