Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Cavalock and The Gyoza Gaiety

I have been to their restaurant at Neil Road years ago when I was still part of a productive workforce, but I guess a busy office work life back then left me with no time to blog bout it. Anyway, I was able to drop by Jing Hua Xiao Chi's Orchard Road outlet at the classy Palais Renaissance earlier this week for lunch. And I hereby declare they got the best damn gyoza I have tasted in a freakin' long time. These pan-fried mixed seafood and pork dumplings are simply irresistible. The skin is crispy and the fillings delicious. My only regret was picking the small serving of just six, so do yourself a favour and order the ten-piece serving.


Another dish you don't normally find elsewhere is their popular Osmanthus flower soup with glutinous rice ball dessert. Its got a sweet floral flavour and the rice balls come with fillings of black sesame, lotus seed with walnut, peanut and red bean paste. Not as sweet as I thought it would be but the floral scent definitely comes out strong.


So hey, it's only the first half of January and I have already been to Tijuana Johor Bahru twice this year! Well, the first incursion was actually on New Year's Day for a friend's wedding. With the current conversion rate, it's a great time to go shopping for Chinese New Year snacks and stuff. Got a box of some of the best pineapple tarts we ever tasted from Lavender Bakery at their City Square outlet, just across the Causeway, for only about S$10 for 32 pieces.

But if Chinese New Year goodies ain't your thing then check this out. Where else around here can you find Uniqlo t-shirts this cheap?!? Definitely not in Singapore. Alright, you may or may not like the designs on sale that day but still, it's a great buy for any Uniqlo t-shirt.



No comments: