Monday, April 16, 2018

Cavalock and The Sweet Treat Appeal

As the Baker-at-Home is an avid fan of Netflix's Kantaro, the Sweet-Toothed Salaryman, this Tokyo vacation wouldn't be complete if we didn't drop by at least one of the shops featured in the show. So we ended up back in Kagurazaka for the second time this trip for famous dessert shop Kinozen. The last time we were in this neighbourhood was a couple days prior, we had the incredible wagyu beef set but the popular traditional dessert shop Kinozen was closed that day.


The Baker-at-Home had the above best-selling azuki beans and matcha Bavarian cream dessert. That's what everyone usually orders I suppose. I had the one below although I forgot what kinda beans they were. It looks pretty heavy but it isn't really. Not bad. There were also lots of sweet jelly cubes below them beans and you can imagine once you pour the brown sugar syrup over it, it all turns into this sweet yet nicely balanced dessert.


I thought it was funny how I was the only male patron on the second floor what with everyone else there being the opposite gender, young and old. Came down after the meal and saw all the older gentlemen waiting downstairs for seats. Hmmm.... guess it's one those 'ya-gotta-be-there' moment. Anyway some of the desserts are seasonal which makes it another place that deserves a second visit if we are back ever here again.




Some people look forward to the free booze, others the latest movies. To me, the best part of flying is I get a chance to play retro DJ. I do this all the time. Start with 20 minutes compiling tunes from the 1950s to 2000s cos everyone knows anything after that is just pure monkey crap. Then I'm set for the rest of the flight just mouthing to every song, tapping my toes and drumming my fingers while reading me iPad. It's like a freakin' personal DJ booth in the sky. No other passenger can see me doing all that and that's just the way I like it. Anyway this SQ flight, I got to enjoy the second season of Rowan "Mr Bean" Athkinson's Maigret, all two episodes of it (yes, just two episodes). Based on the novels by Georges Simenon, Athkinson plays the titular character, a Parisian chief inspector solving whodunits in 1950s Paris. So SQ had the 2017 second season and with each show bout an hour-and-a-half long, I finished the entire season under three hours max. Excellent series and refreshing to see the talented actor in such an earnest role. Now all I need is to find a way to get my hands on season one (also merely two episodes!).


No comments: