Friday, March 18, 2011

Cavalock and The Rosemary Rebound


Tried something earlier for lunch today when I was home alone, and I'm just freakin' glad that it came out great. Simple little dish, rosemary chicken with steamed veggies and caramelized onions. Reason I'm glad is cos I tried something similar earlier this week with pork chops instead and that didn't turn out good. Yah, I only post the ones that turn out good, there are lots of meals that I did that didn't turn out as good as I hoped. :P


Like I said, it's real simple. Seasoned the chicken by shoving a stalk of rosemary and some salt and pepper under the skin, before folding it back. The flavors came true and it made all the difference. Man, will definitely make it through to the next week if this was on Top Chef! Although my presentation and plating needs a lot of work. <^;^>

The steamed veggies, seasoned them with salt before putting them in the steamer. Turned out very nice too.

Now while the veggies were steaming, I was grilling the chicken. Sizzling away for bout 10 minutes. When it looks a little brown, put it away on plate. Next on the same skillet, toss a piece of butter before throwing in the onion (one whole yellow onion). Add a splash of Japanese sake, yes, it's the same sake from my other favorite dish.


After like 8 minutes, when they are lightly caramelized, transfer them to a plate then bring back the chicken! Now get that skillet in the oven for 10 minutes at 240ºC. By now you should be smelling something real good. Whole thing took bout 40 minutes.


So everything turned out better than I expected, and in case anyone wants to see, here's the pix of the pork chops that kinda sucked. Well, it didn't suck that much, the dish was merely alright. Well, if this was an episode of Top Chef, I'll be up for elimination but will still slip through to next week, Hah!

FAIL!!!


I hope everyone reading this has already done his or her bit by donating to the Japan Red Cross. I used to visit the country once a year if I can, I guess it'll be awhile before my next visit. I miss the place already.

Check this out, I signed up for Formspring some time back. Don't ask me why, I think I was terribly bored. Er....and then again, maybe you should ask me.

4 comments:

Your cooking mentor said...

Maybe u can use the grill function the next time. It will give u a 'char' effect.

red fir said...

This can be a gourmet meal already haha. Not a fan of chicken usually but your chicken thigh looks strangely very delicious.

Aren't you glad you weren't in Japan at that time? A trip to Japan can always wait. (:

Cavalock said...

Thanks for the chicken compliment! ;)

Well, I follow a few Japan tweets and getting all the updates everyday on the disaster is pretty depressing. I do intend to visit Japan again one day, just dunno when.

nespresso reviews said...

I just wanted to post a quick message on this particular blog article telling you that it's posts like these that keep me and like other people excited about your content and wiliing to visit often.