Monday, January 23, 2012

Cavalock and The Kitchen Reno Rodeo

HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR!

Whew! It's finally done. Well, if you have been following my tweets, you would probably have noticed that I have been tweeting bout renovating my tiny kitchen and study. Started just before Christmas and almost three weeks into the new year, it was a excruciating experience to say the least. Mainly because I was still living in the apartment during the entire renovation.

The old kitchen
Where the old fridge was

And where I had my washing machine

After all that, I think I'm qualified to pen a little book on what to do and what not to do when your apartment is being renovated with you still in it.

First up, get ready for lotsa dust. Tons or volumes or whatever metric system they use to measure it, of dust will decent on every square millimeter of your apartment. Especially if you need to demolish your old kitchen. Remember that sandstorm scene in the latest Mission Impossible movie? That was a beach party compared to the scene in my apartment during the first two days of demolition work.
Work-in-progress
Next thing you gotta know when renovating is that plans will unequivocally change. Deadlines will stretch, somebody's blueprints is gonna be different from yours, materials you picked out earlier will be sold out when you need them and/or your existing furniture will be damaged by someone or something.

One of my biggest bugbears was not accounting for the extra space needed when you open a cupboard door or even the refrigerator door in my case. Bottom line is there will changes and there's not a damn thing you can do to prevent it.

Fortunately everything turned out ok, cutting it really close to the Lunar New Year. I'll post the completed pix in my next post. Meantime some interesting food finds in time for the celebratory period.


On the left, you got Creamy Pineapple Tart ice cream flavor from the best ice cream parlor on the island, Creamier. Every flavor they got is full of rich and natural ingredients, the Pineapple Tart has even got them little bits of tart crusts in it. Wanted to get a tub but they didn't have enough to fill one up, yes, that's how popular it was!

The Limited Edition Winter's Tale Sapporo beer on the right, where else but Meidi-Ya can you find something like that. <^;^>

2 comments:

red fir said...

Yay! Expecting to see more recipes from your new kitchen!

Happy New Year!

Cavalock said...

Well, i hope so too! ;)