Friday, May 09, 2014

Cavalock and The Fatty Medical Anxiety

Ever since I went for my full (manly) medical check-up last week, I have been on pins and needles waiting for my results. And that finally came early yesterday morning. It was really no big surprise, to me at least, that the results revealed that I had way too much fats in me as well as a serve lack of "good cholesterol". Now if we have met in real life, I'm probably the last person you would expect to be called 'fat' but unfortunately it's all under this skinny little frame.


The reason why I wasn't surprised by this is because ever since I became a full-time caregiver about two years ago, I have pretty much stopped working out. After a day of taking care of the sick and elderly, the last time I wanna do is exercise. I'm just too mentally and emotionally exhausted to do anything else except to go home and de-stress.

But like I said, this wasn't the thing that I was most concerned about. It was all the other extensive blood tests, scans and x-rays that came with the full medical examination that had my imagination in overdrive. Well, glad to announce that everything else turned out alright. No STDs, no cancer markers, normal blood pressure, normal this and normal that, just need to eat right and work out a whole lot more.

Looking back I definitely don't regret going through the check-up even though it ain't exactly cheap, at about S$800. Last week's tests took only a couple of hours to complete, including waiting time. First up, the nurses took vials of blood, checked my eyes, took my stats (+1 Dexterity, -2 Strength), before I met the doc for a chat. Then it's off to get my stomach scanned and chest x-rayed in another part of the building. When all that's done, it's back to the same clinic to role-play a hamster on the treadmill. It was quite an interesting morning and oh, they had a small breakfast spread in the waiting room that was much appreciated for those of us who had to fast the night before.

Gone are my days as a lean, mean stabbing machine. But seriously I'm grateful that the rest of the results came out alright, but I do have an uphill task ahead. Trying to find time and energy to work out while still being a 24/7 caregiver ain't gonna be easy. Oh, did I mention that I'm STD-free? ;)

2 comments:

M. said...

good to know that otherwise you are good and STD-free ;)

Exercising after a days' work is demotivating for anyone. LOL. Hope you can find time to make small lifestyle changes. It worked for me...less sauces, switching to low-fat products, taking more stairs, go for a walk when possible, etc. All the best!

Cavalock said...

Hah, thanks for the tips!